Tuesday 17 February 2015

Werewolf syndrome, Ambras syndrome or Hypertrichosis

This is an extremely rare condition with excessive hair growth over and above the normal for the age, gender and race of an individual.It can be generalized or localized, congenital or acquired.
Werewolf Syndrome (Picture Credit; reddit)



First documented by Aldrovandus In 1648

The gender and racial prevalence for this condition is not yet known as Less than 100 cases have been reported worldwide, with an incidence of about 1 in a billion to 1 in 10 billion (congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa).
It is apparent at birth (depending on the type).

Hypertrichosis differs from Hirsutism in that, it is not androgen related and does not follow the male pattern of Hair distribution, while Hirsutism commonly occurs in women and presents as androgen-induced male pattern hair growth.

Classification
Congenital
Hypertrichosis lanuginosa: completely covered in thin lanugo hair; long, silky and light colored hairs
Generalised hypertrichosis: involves vellus and terminal hairs.
Terminal hypertrichosis:  coarser and thicker hairs and usually pigmented, accompanied by gingival hyperplasia.
Circumscribed hypertrichosis; presence of thick vellus hair on the upper extremities ( e.g hairy eyebrows )
Localised hypertrichosis,
• Nevoid hypertrichosis
; excessive terminal hair and is usually not related to any diseases.

Acquired
Hypertrichosis lanuginosa; fine and unpigmented hair on the face, trunk and armpit.
Generalised hypertrichosis:
Patterned hypertrichosis: increase in hair growth in a pattern formation
Localised hypertrichosis: increase in hair density and length often secondary to irritation or trauma



Causes
Congenital
Genetically acquired; autosomal dominant mutation on 8q (Hypertrichosis lanuginosa),autosomal dominant mutation on chromosome x24-q27.1 (Generalized hypertrichosis), mutation in MAP2K6 on chromosome 17 (Terminal hypertrichosis).

Acquired

  • Cancer,
  • Endocrinopathies; hyperthyroidism
  • Metabolic disorders such as porphyria cutanea tarda
  • Anorexia nervosa
  • Medications; iodine, psoralens, minoxidil, steroids,cyclosporine, diazoxide,phenytoin, streptomycin, hexachlorobenzene, penicillamine, heavy metals, sodiumtetradecyl sulfate, acetazolamide, and interferon.
  •  Minor abrasions or injury requiring a plaster cast
  • Longstanding lichen simplex, infections and vaccinations.
  • Head injuries, malnutrition, starvation and AIDS (are less common causes)
Diagnosis
 This is mainly clinical, however, hair biopsy for histologic classification is indicated; Lanugo hairs tend to be non-pigmented,  Vellus hair may be pigmented or nonpigmented. Lanugo and vellus hairs can be difficult to distinguish at histological examination.

Differential diagnosis
Hirsutism
Mucopolysaccharidoses Types I-VII
Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome


Treatment
Drugs; Eflornithine (Vaniqa cream), Has been found to be very useful.
           Bleaching can improve congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa (CHL) patients’ appearance.
           Antidepressants can be used in patients with depression.
Physical depilation; tweezing or plucking, shaving, and waxing. Tweezing is an effective temporary hair removal method, but it is a slow, tedious, and painful process.
Chemical depilatories; contain sulfides, thioglycolates, and enzymatic depilatory agents. They break down hair by cleaving its cysteine linkages thereby causing minimal damage to the underlying skin. Electrolysis,
Intense pulsed light therapy
Diathermy and Radiation therapy can be used rarely

Hypertrichosis (Picture Credit; real world image.)
Surgical Care
    Laser hair removal has been proposed as a treatment option, although it is still remains controversial.


NOTES

1. Beighton P. Congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa. Arch Dermatol. Jun 1970;101(6):669-72.

2. Klein  AWRish  DC Depilatory and shaving products. Clin Dermatol. 1988;668- 70

3. Lesiewicz  JGoldsmith  LA Antizyme release is an early event in ornithine decarboxylase induction by hair plucking. J Invest Dermatol. 1983;8097- 100

4. Hynd  PINancarrow  MJ Inhibition of polyamine synthesis alters hair follicle function and fiber composition. J Invest Dermatol. 1996;106249- 253

5. Medical Dictionary; Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved

6. Medscape; eMedicine.

7. Partridge JW. Congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa: neonatal shaving. Arch Dis Child. Jun 1987;62(6):623-5

8. Tadin M, Braverman E, Cianfarani S, et al. Complex cytogenetic rearrangement of chromosome 8q in a case of Ambras syndrome. Am J Med Genet. Jul 22 2001;102(1):100-4.

9. Wikipedia | hypertrichosis

8 comments:

  1. vaginal yeast infection is a fungal infection that causes irritation, discharge and intense itchiness of the vagina and the vulva &the tissues at the vaginal opening. Also called vaginal candidiasis, vaginal yeast infection affects many women and it can be immediately be cured with Agbara Herbal Cleanser and just use this Cleanser, every thing will be clear off, drcureherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am Hellen, thanks to Dr oniha who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid with his herbal tuber cleanser. My marriage was on the verge of collapsing, because I was unable to bear a child for my husband. Until I came across Dr ONIHA's recommendation onLine,of how he has helped numerous of childless couples to have children with the help of his wonderful herbal medication, and I contacted him. And he administered his herbs on me.within the space of two months, i became pregnant, I now have a child I can call my own. In case you want to contact him for a similar problem, or all other infertilty issues, you can reach him through his email:
      DRONIHASPELL@YAHOO.COM or call him on +2347089275769

      Delete
    2. thanks to Dr oniha, who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid. i married for over eight years wthout a child of my own. because of the problem with my fallopian tube and fibroid, until i came in contact with Dr oniha's testimony and recommendations online, on how he has cured and healed so many people of the same illness, and i decided to contact him, and he administered his medications on me, and i became pregnant in two months. incase you want to reach him for a similar problem, you can call or whatsap him on +2347089275769 or email: dronihaspell@yahoo.com

      Delete
  2. Don’t think of anything else just contact priest eka and purchase some of his herbal medication and your depression will go away. This was my state of mind when my doctor told me that i will not be able to concieve due to the Fibroid that was rolling in my family life and when i decide to reach out to the priest, and the priest told me what to do in other to get the medication. Eventually I receive all the Herbal medications that cure my Fibroid and give me the chance to become a proud mother: Eka is a great spiritualist, He did it for me, you can contact Eka on (dreka14demons@gmail.com). If you are suffering from the following gynecology disease::
    1. Fibroid, Hysterectomy, Asthma, All STD, sinus infection, unexplain miscarriage, fibromyalgia.
    2.High Blood Pressure (herbs to reduce your BP within 7days), Ucler
    3. Infection, regular body pains (yeast infection), urine tract infection. Thyroid infection, Skin infection Herbal cream
    4. Blockage from the fallopian Tube, Herbs to untied womb,Hepatitis
    5. Cyst from the ovaries, PCOS
    6. Unpleasant smell from the virginal, virginal itching, virginal discharge
    7. Irregular menstruation, painful period
    8. Weakness of the penis (not able to have sex with your partner or inability to satisfy your partner sexually)
    9. Watering sperm (low sperm count) not able to get woman pregnant. (Herbal cure for Weak Erection)
    10. Infertility for easy Conception.......
    11. Cure from all kinds of Skin diseases, Toilet infection and bad body odor…….Etc..
    Simply contact the spiritualist DrEka on (dreka14demons@gmail.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your disease and put yourself on a motherhood side of life..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great man, a great thanks to Priest Salami the man that bring me out of this sorrow this is the man that can as well help the world, on this diseases I can remember 5 year ago when I was searching for cure, and how I have spent much money and I finally lost hope due to my conduction I have to put my hope on god, lucky to me last week here I was on the internet, check on how many year I can spent on earth then I see a comment about this great man Priest Salami what a lucky day for me and today am giving my testimony about him I have never believe there is cure at all, but this man just want me to give him a try, if he cannot do it I will know his is not Priest Salami that he have been doing this cure for more than many year now I put my hope on him and also my dear god but today am very happy to give this story to you all, it all happen when I was 23 year well because of this disease I can get married and very happy today am now negative I can get married now to my fellow people that is on my shoes this the good way to say bye to this diseases HIV/AIDS contact this man now purenaturalhealer@gmail.com. or whatsapp him +2348105150446 and i pray that he will help you also. All thanks to Priest Salami

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW DR AZIBA HELPED ME ENLARGE MY PENIS SIZE FROM 3.5 INCHES TO 11INCHES LONG AND 8.0 GROWTH
    I got married 2 years ago and it just seemed that there was no excitement in my sex life. My dysfunction to perform to the best of my abilities in bed made it harder for my wife and me to have a good time during sex. And i was having the feelings that she may decide to get a divorce one day. I knew something had to be done in order to improve my sex life and to save my marriage because my marriage was already falling apart, so when i was on my Facebook page i came across a story of how Dr Aziba helped him enlarged his penis to 8ins better.so i Immediately copied the Email address of the Dr and explained to him my problem,he gave me some simply instruction which i must follow and i did easily and my friends Today, i am the happiest man on Earth, All Thanks to Dr Aziba for saving my marriage and making me a real man today.i asked him about some popular diseases like HERPES,HIV AIDS,HEPATITIS, DIABETICS, CANCERS, WART, Get Ex back ,etc....... which are affecting most people he said there is no disease without a cure , he has it all...You can as well reach the Dr below for help on your problem, for he has the solution to all...
    Email:[ PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ]
    WhatsAPP DR [ +2348100368288 ]





    HOW DR AZIBA HELPED ME ENLARGE MY PENIS SIZE FROM 3.5 INCHES TO 11INCHES LONG AND 8.0 GROWTH
    I got married 2 years ago and it just seemed that there was no excitement in my sex life. My dysfunction to perform to the best of my abilities in bed made it harder for my wife and me to have a good time during sex. And i was having the feelings that she may decide to get a divorce one day. I knew something had to be done in order to improve my sex life and to save my marriage because my marriage was already falling apart, so when i was on my Facebook page i came across a story of how Dr Aziba helped him enlarged his penis to 8ins better.so i Immediately copied the Email address of the Dr and explained to him my problem,he gave me some simply instruction which i must follow and i did easily and my friends Today, i am the happiest man on Earth, All Thanks to Dr Aziba for saving my marriage and making me a real man today.i asked him about some popular diseases like HERPES,HIV AIDS,HEPATITIS, DIABETICS, CANCERS, WART, Get Ex back ,etc....... which are affecting most people he said there is no disease without a cure , he has it all...You can as well reach the Dr below for help on your problem, for he has the solution to all...
    Email:[ PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ]
    WhatsAPP DR [ +2348100368288 ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I had been rejected by my husband after five(5) years of marriage just because another woman had cast a spell on him and he left me with 2 kids to suffer. One day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how he help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a chance he told me that my husband is under spell, he said that he will help me and after 7 days that i will have my husband back. i believed he and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster has the power to bring lovers back now my husband is back with after 7 days . he also gave me a financial magic ring to boost my business and removed bad luck. i am now happy with my husband. Thanks you Dr. love please contact him at (lovespelldoctor0@gmail. com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for hs great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete