Friday 20 February 2015

Mermaid Syndrome, or Sirenomelia

This is a rare and fatal congenital malformation characterized by the partial or complete fusion of the lower limb structures forming a single lower limb instead of  two.

Originally described by Rocheus in 1542 and Palfyn in 1953 and named after the mythical Greek Goddesses "Sirens".
Sirenomelia or Mermaid syndrome was initially claimed by some authorities to be the most severe form of "Caudal Regression syndrome" which was first  described by Duhamel  (1961), Until recently when Stevenson et al described it as a result of "Vascular Steal".

Mermaid Syndrome / Sirenomelia (Picture Credit ; Scialert )



The prevalence has been estimated at about 0.8-1 in 100,000 birth and as at now about 300 cases reported in the literature.
It has a male : female ratio of 2.7-3 : 1, and is more common in one of identical twins.

Features of Mermaid syndrome include:
  • A single lower extremity,
  • No feet (ectromelic mermaid), one foot (monopode mermaid) or both feet (sympode mermaid), which may be rotated externally.
  • Sacrum is partially or completely absent,
  • The femur may be Single (most commonly) or partially divided,
  • Single umbilical artery,
  • Absent or ambiguous external genitalia,
  • Absent or imperforate anus,
  • Renal anomalies.

Risk Factors
Maternal diabetes (16 – 22%)
Monozygotic Twin (15%)
Genetic factors;  as in autosomal dominant Currarino syndrome, also known as hereditary sacral agenesis (HSA).
Extremes of temperature,
Radiations,
Drugs (lithium, sulfamides)
Organic solvents (xylene, trichloroethylene, methylchloride and acetone)

Pathogenesis
In Mermaid Syndrome, the umbilical cord forms a single artery instead of two arteries, leading to insufficient blood supply to the fetus; (A vascular steal phenomenon causing severe ischemia to the caudal portion of the fetus). Suffering malnutrition, the fetus fails to develop two separate limbs.


Types
Tocker and Heifetz classified the leg abnormalities into Types I through VII.
Type I is the least severe with all bones present; and Type VII, most severe, consisting of a lower extremity with a fused femur and absent tibia and fibula.

Diagnosis
Prenatal ultrasonography as early as 13 weeks of pregnancy can detect gross structural anomalies, presence of a single umbilical artery, presence of oligohydramnios etc.
If legalized in your country, following a prenatal ultrasound Diagnosis, termination of pregnancy could be considered in appropriate situations .

Differentials
Caudal Regression Syndrome
VATER association

Complications
Urogenital complications (renal agenesis, absent or ambiguous external genitalia )
Gastrointestinal complications ( tracheo-esophageal atresia, imperforate anus, etc )
Cardiopathy,
Musculoskeletal complications.

Prognosis
Being often fatal, the condition is incompatible with life; some are stillbirth while others rarely survive longer than a few days.
However, The some without renal agenesis may survive past infancy. The oldest surviving patient with mermaid syndrome is Tiffany Yorks (1988- date) after series of surgery.
Mermaid Syndrome (Picture Credit; pixshark)


NOTES

1. I.D.Young,MD,MRCP, K. M. O’Reilly,MB,ChB, MRC Path, C. H. Kendall, MB,ChB, I986,  ETIOLOGICAL HETEROGENEITY IN SIRENOMELIA,  Pediatric Pathology, 5:31-43, Copyright 1986 by Hemisphere Publishing Corporation (HINARI)

2. Jocelyn H. Bruce, Rita L. Romaguera, Maria M. Rodriguez, Víctor H. González-Quintero, and E. Michel Azouz ,2009,CAUDAL DYSPLASIA SYNDROME AND SIRENOMELIA: ARE THEY PART OF A SPECTRUM? Informa Healthcare Journal Vol. 28, No. 3 , Pages 109-131 (doi:10.1080/15513810902772383)  (HINARI)

3. Marybeth Browne MD1, Philip Fitchev MD2, Brian Adley MD2 and Susan E Crawford MD, 2004 , Sirenomelia with an Angiomatous Lumbosacral Myelocystocele in a Full-term Infant, Journal of Perinatology (2004) 24, 329–331. 

4.  Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier

5. Reddy KR, Srinivas S, Kumar S, Reddy S, Hariprasad, Irfan GM. Sirenomelia a rare presentation. Journal of Neonatal Surgery. 2012;1:7.

6. Stevenson RE, Jones KL, Phelan MC, Jones MC, Barr M, Jr, Clericuzio C. Vascular steal: The pathogenetic mechanism producing sirenomelia and associated defects of the viscera and soft tissues. Pediatrics. 1986;78:451–7

7. Vinayak Y. Kshirsagar, Minhajuddin Ahmed, and Sylvia M. Colaco, 2012 , Sirenomelia Apus: A Rare Deformity Journal of Clinical Neonatology. 2012 Jul-Sep; 1(3): 146–148.

8.  Z.Kokrdova  Caudal regression syndrome, Journal Of Obstetrics and Gynecology (1983) 4,101-102   DOI: 10.3109/01443615.2012.743508 (HINARI)

1 comment:

  1. ARE YOU AWARE THAT MODERN NATURAL HERBAL MEDICINES OF THIS GENERATION NOW PERMANENTLY CURE DRUG RESISTANT DISEASES LIKE; HSV/HERPES, CANCERS, HIV/AIDS, ERECTILE DISJUNCTION/ IMPOTENCY, DIABETES FOREVER WITHOUT A POSSIBLE COME BACK OR AFTER EFFECTS?
    It wonderfully worked for me;
    At first I was a bit skeptical about this Natural cure for herpes and other similar medicines. Discovering people with similar symptoms who are treated and cured by Dr Utu both on medias and in social medias on daily basis motivated me, so I contacted him for help!
    At first, I was a bit curious about this possible cure, but! I don't want to be left out without giving it a trial, so I contacted him as well.
    Some hours later he replied me, then he asked me some private questions, of which I honestly answered, I told him how I have lived and suffered with this disease and how much I will do anything to get rid of it. He assured me of total cure after taking his herbal medicines. It was even more easier than I expected. Also I never even imagined to get my parcels within five working days, but to my greatest surprise my parcels was brought to my doorstep by the end of the second day. I collected the parcel which I followed all the instructions as he had directed. Just as I was told "four weeks medication " my medicine finished in four weeks exactly. From week one of my medication I started noticing positive change in health. and in week two I could tell much more differences and I was so eager to even testify of life again in me.
    I patiently continue medication till the last bottle which was then week four. I was the first person the next day in the clinic for lab test. Not even a particle of herpes was found in my system when I collected my result. Knowing I'm now herpes negative at this point I proceeded to inform my doctor, he doubted me, that day he gave me a month appointment to be closely monitored. It's my health so I waited more six Months and again i went for 'lab test' in a different clinical lab.
    This time the result was still the same as the previous one. Also since this year I have been living my normal life and am still herpes free no symptoms and even till now no cold sore or outbreak. As a result of this herbal cure in my life and my family at large, I can boast of doctors today who through me, now uses African Traditional Roots and Herbs to TREAT AND CURE patients that are, CANCERS, HERPES, PARALYSIS, and HIV successfully today. Many are still ignorant of this I know.
    Contact Dr Utu directly today on; "drutuherbalcure@gmail.com" to free yourself from emotional stress and become healthy again

    ReplyDelete