Saturday 24 January 2015

STONE BABIES (Lithopedia)

STONE BABIES (Lithopedia)


This is a rare medical phenomenon, as at date, Only about 300 cases have been reported or documented. It Was First described by Dr Albucasis (an Arab Muslim physician and surgeon who was the first physician to describe an ectopic pregnancy, and the first physician to identify the hereditary nature of haemophilia).

Lithopedion; a fetus that has died during an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the Uterus,in this case mostly abdominal pregnancy) and has become calcified, ossified or hardened. It may remain undiagnosed for decades. Also called calcified fetus, lithopedium, ostembryon, osteopedion. Lithopedia; plural.

Lithopedion ( Picture Credit: citizenpost. )

Tends to occur in abdominal pregnancies as opposed to intrauterine pregnancies, even though it is possible for the fetus to remain within the uterus.. A tubal pregnancy can result where the fetus grows within the fallopian tube and rarely the fertilized egg will escape the end of the fallopian tube and settle within the abdomen.
Sometimes the blood supply is established and the child can grow within the abdomen, rarely to term but it can grow. It would take 12 weeks or more for the fetus to reach a size that would be easily visible.

About 1.5 and 1.8% of abdominal pregnancies develop into lithopedia.

Here,the tissues of the dead fetus are too large to be absorbed by the body, so they are walled off as foreign bodies with fibrous tissue and this most often Calcify which is where the term stone baby comes from.

The development of lithopedion happens under certain conditions:
(1) extra-uterine pregnancy;
(2) fetal death after 3 months of pregnancy;
(3) the egg must be sterile;
(4) there cannot be any early diagnosis;
(5) local conditions must exist for calcium precipitation (deposit)

Most times it occurs without symptoms (Asymptomatic) and is discovered incidentally following an Abdominal X-ray taken for some other reason, as the only symptom may be the feeling of discomfort, sensation of a mass or fullness in her abdomen.
Here the woman could have normal Menstruation, and could even become pregnant again since the uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes would be normal and would continue to function normally.

However, if the fetus remained within the uterus, this could interfere with future pregnancies, though not always.
It would be very similar to a woman who had large fibroids, which are muscular masses that develop with in the muscular wall of the uterus and often cause pain and abnormal bleeding. Sometimes normal pregnancies occur despite these.

Some associated complications have been reported after a long asymptomatic evolution: urinary bladder and rectum perforation; extrusion of fetal parts through the abdomen wall, rectum and vagina; intestinal obstruction (due to collision of fetal parts with the intestine or adherence), abscess formation and volvulus.

Treatment is by surgical extirpation/removal.


NOTES;

1. Costa SD, Presley J, Bastert G. Advanced abdominal pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol Surv 1991;46:515-25.

2.  Frayer CA, Hibbert ML. Abdominal pregnancy in a 67-year-old woman undetected for 37 years: a case report. J Reprod Med 1999;44:633-5. 

3.  Irick MB, Kitsos CN, O'Leary JA. Therapeutic aspects in the management of a lithopedion. Am Surg 1970;36:232-4.

4.  Mishra JM, Behera TK, Panda BK, Sarangi K; Behera; Panda; Sarangi (September 2007). "Twin lithopaedions: a rare entity". Singapore Medical Journal 48 (9): 866–8. PMID 17728971.

5.  Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.

6.  Passini, Renato; Knobel, Roxana; Parpinelli, Mary ร‚ngela; Pereira, Belmiro Gonรงalves; Amaral, Eliana; de Castro Surita, Fernanda Garanhani; de Araรบjo Lett, Caio Rogรฉrio (November 2000). "Calcified abdominal pregnancy with eighteen years of evolution: case report". Sรฃo Paulo Medical Journal 118 (6): 192–4.

7.  Spiritos NM, Eisenkop SM, Mishell DR. Lithokelyphos: a case report and literature review. J Reprod Med 1987;32:43-6.

5 comments:

  1. Human conception requires an egg and sperm. Poor ejaculation ,If you're not ovulating, you won't be able to get pregnant. Anovulation is a common cause of female infertility and it can be triggered by many conditions. PCOS,Over/underweight,primary Ovarian insufficiency,a thyroid dysfunction,.,hyperprolactinemia, irregular cycle, Blockage in the Fallopian Tubes, when the eggs release from the Ovary did not get to the Fallopian tubes you can not get pregnant Therefore use AGBARA Herbal Cleanser to clean up all this Infertility pains in Your Body and get pregnant easy..drcureherbalhome@gmail.com.. However, regular menstrual cycles don't guarantee that ovulation is occurring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am Hellen, thanks to Dr oniha who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid with his herbal tuber cleanser. My marriage was on the verge of collapsing, because I was unable to bear a child for my husband. Until I came across Dr ONIHA's recommendation onLine,of how he has helped numerous of childless couples to have children with the help of his wonderful herbal medication, and I contacted him. And he administered his herbs on me.within the space of two months, i became pregnant, I now have a child I can call my own. In case you want to contact him for a similar problem, or all other infertilty issues, you can reach him through his email:
      DRONIHASPELL@YAHOO.COM or call him on +2347089275769

      Delete
  2. Am pela, thanks to Dr Osaze who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid with his herbal tuber cleanser. My marriage was on the verge of collapsing, because I was unable to bear a child for my husband. Until I came across Dr osaze's recommendation on line, and I contacted him. And he administered his herbs on me. I now have a child I can call my own. In case you want to contact him for a similar problem, or all other issues, you can reach him through his email:
    drosaze39@gmail.com or call him on +2347089275769

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing testimony on how i conceive, also cure from fibroid, i wonder why people still don't believe that roots and herbs are very essential and fruitful in different aspect, especially when you can't conceive and bear children. I am a living witness because I tried all I could to be pregnant but all to no avail, on this faithful day, i decided to check the net for updates on healthy living and i came across testimonies of lot of women who Dr Ebhota has helped with his native herbs to conceive. i decided to put a try because this has been my greatest problem in life so I emailed Dr Ebhota, and he told me what to do which i did, after which he sent me some roots and herbs syrup and gave me step by step guild lines on how and when to have sex with my man. I missed my menstrual flow within a short period of taking it, and the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant. I am very glad to tell the world that I just put to bed a bouncing baby boy last week. Contact Dr Ebhota for your own testimony on: (drebhota123456@gmail.com).Or Whatsapp Him +2349035324155

    ReplyDelete
  4. ARE YOU AWARE THAT MODERN NATURAL HERBAL MEDICINES OF THIS GENERATION NOW PERMANENTLY CURE DRUG RESISTANT DISEASES LIKE; HSV/HERPES, CANCERS, HIV/AIDS, ERECTILE DISJUNCTION/ IMPOTENCY, DIABETES FOREVER WITHOUT A POSSIBLE COME BACK OR AFTER EFFECTS?
    It wonderfully worked for me;
    At first I was a bit skeptical about this Natural cure for herpes and other similar medicines. Discovering people with similar symptoms who are treated and cured by Dr Utu both on medias and in social medias on daily basis motivated me, so I contacted him for help!
    At first, I was a bit curious about this possible cure, but! I don't want to be left out without giving it a trial, so I contacted him as well.
    Some hours later he replied me, then he asked me some private questions, of which I honestly answered, I told him how I have lived and suffered with this disease and how much I will do anything to get rid of it. He assured me of total cure after taking his herbal medicines. It was even more easier than I expected. Also I never even imagined to get my parcels within five working days, but to my greatest surprise my parcels was brought to my doorstep by the end of the second day. I collected the parcel which I followed all the instructions as he had directed. Just as I was told "four weeks medication " my medicine finished in four weeks exactly. From week one of my medication I started noticing positive change in health. and in week two I could tell much more differences and I was so eager to even testify of life again in me.
    I patiently continue medication till the last bottle which was then week four. I was the first person the next day in the clinic for lab test. Not even a particle of herpes was found in my system when I collected my result. Knowing I'm now herpes negative at this point I proceeded to inform my doctor, he doubted me, that day he gave me a month appointment to be closely monitored. It's my health so I waited more six Months and again i went for 'lab test' in a different clinical lab.
    This time the result was still the same as the previous one. Also since this year I have been living my normal life and am still herpes free no symptoms and even till now no cold sore or outbreak. As a result of this herbal cure in my life and my family at large, I can boast of doctors today who through me, now uses African Traditional Roots and Herbs to TREAT AND CURE patients that are, CANCERS, HERPES, PARALYSIS, and HIV successfully today. Many are still ignorant of this I know.
    Contact Dr Utu directly today on; "drutuherbalcure@gmail.com" to free yourself from emotional stress and become healthy again

    ReplyDelete